We invite queries about writing single book reviews or multi-book review essays. Contact Leo Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to propose a book for review. PoLAR expects potential reviewers to have received their PhD in Anthropology or a related field, or to have evidence of relevant publications or expertise.
This list of books received is updated monthly. Scroll down for previous monthly lists and our backlist of books still available for review from 2017 onward. NB: Titles marked with an asterisk are already assigned to a reviewer (updated 10/09/19)
PoLAR: Books Received
Jegathesan, Mythri. 2019. Tea and Solidarity: Tamil Women and Work in Postwar Sri Lanka. Washington: University of Washington Press.
Livingston, Julie. 2019. Self-Devouring Growth: A Planetary Parable as told from Southern Africa. Durham: Duke UP.
Martin, Jeffrey T. 2019. Sentiment, Reason, and Law: Policing in the Republic of Taiwan. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
Nikolakis, William, Stephen Cornell and Harry W. Nelson, eds. 2019. Reclaiming Indigenous Governance: Reflections and Insights from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
Ross, Robert. 2018. These Oppressions Won’t Cease: An Anthology of Poliical Thought of the Cape Khoesan, 1777-1879. Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati Press.
Tejani, Riaz. 2019. Law and Society Today. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Cooper, Davina. 2019. Feeling Like a State: Desire, Denial, and the Recasting of Authority. Durham: Duke UP.
Guilbault, Jocelyne and Timothy Rommen, eds. 2019. Sounds of Vacation: Political Economies of Caribbean Tourism. Durham: Duke UP.
Kravel-Tovi, Michal. 2017. When the State Winks: The Performance of Jewish Conversion in Israel. New York: Columbia UP.
Nicholls, Walter J. 2019. The Immigrant Rights Movement: The Battle over National Citizenship. Stanford UP.
Nugent, David. 2019. The Encrypted State: Delusion and Displacement in the Peruvian Andes. Stanford UP.
*Parla, Ayse. 2019. Precarious Hope: Migration and the Limits of Belonging in Turkey. Stanford UP.
*Ambrust, Walter. 2019. Martyrs and Tricksters: An Ethnography of the Egyptian Revolution. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
*Bou Akar, Hiba. 2019. For the War Yet to Come: Planning Beirut’s Frontiers. Stanford UP.
Chowdhury, Nusrat Sabina. 2019. Paradoxes of the Popular: Crowd Politics in Bangladesh. Stanford UP.
Fukushima, Annie Isabel. 2019. Migrant Crossings: Witnessing Human Trafficking in the US. Stanford UP.
Gascón, Luis Daniel and Aaron Roussell. The Limits of Community Policing: Civilian Power and Police Accountability in Black and Brown Los Angeles. New York: NYU Press.
Leadbeater, Marie. 2018. See No Evil: New Zealand’s Betrayal of the people of West Papua. Cincinnati: University of Cincinnati Press.
Samet, Robert. 2019. Deadline: Populism and the Press in Venezuela. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Zani, Leah. 2019. Bomb Children: Life in the Former Battlefields of Laos. Durham: Duke UP.
The following two books are published separately, but form a joint project or “duo-graph”; both books may be reviewed together or individual reviewers may request one for review.
Boyer, Dominic. 2019. Energopolitics: Wind and Power in the Anthropocene. Durham: Duke UP.
Howe, Cymene. 2019. Ecologics: Wind and Power in the Anthropocene. Durham: Duke UP.
Besteman, Catherine and Hugh Gusterson, eds. Life By Algorithms: How Roboprocesses are Remaking our World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Deverell, Rita Shelton. 2019. American Refugees: Turning to Canada for Freedom. Regina: University of Regina Press.
Harvey, Penny, Christian Krohn-Hansen, and Knut G. Nustad, eds. Anthropos and the Material. Durham: Duke University Press.
Hass, Bridget M. and Amy Shuman, eds. 2019. Technologies of Suspicion and the Ethics of Obligation in Political Asylum. Athens: Ohio University Press.
Anderson, Mark. 2019. From Boas to Black Power: Racism, Liberalism, and American Anthropology. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Finkelstein, Maura. 2019. The Archive of Loss: Lively Ruination in Mill Land Mumbai. Durham: Duke University Press.
*Caldwell, Beth. 2019. Deported Americans: Life After Deportation to Mexico. Durham: Duke UP.
Coe, Cati. 2019. The New American Servitude: Political Belonging Among African Immigrant Home Care Workers. New York: NYU Press.
Copeland, Nicholas. 2019. The Democracy Development Machine: Neoliberalism, Radical Pessimism, and Authoritarian Populism in Mayan Guatemala. Ithaca: Cornell UP, 2019.
Gibson, Christopher L. Movement-Driven Development: The Politics of Health and Democracy in Brazil. Stanford: Stanford UP.
James, Erica Caple. 2019. Governing Gifts: Faith, Charity, and the Security State. Albuquerque: SAR Press/University of New Mexico Press.
Miller, Ethan. 2019. Reimagining Livelihoods: Live Beyond Economy, Society, and Environment. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
Shore, Cris and David V. Williams, eds. 2019. The Shapeshifting Crown: Locating the State in Postcolonial New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and the UK. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Arnason, Johann P. and Chris Hann, eds. 2019. Anthropology and Civilizational Analysis: Eurasian Explorations. Albany: SUNY Press.
Destrooper, Tine and Sally Engle Merry, eds. 2018. Human Rights Transformation in Practice. UPenn.
Grisaffi, Thomas. 2019. Coca Yes, Cocaine No: How Bolivia’s Coca Growers Reshaped Democracy. Duke UP.
Mezzdra, Sandro and Brett Nielson. 2019. The Politics of Operations: Excavating Contemporary Capitalism. Durham: Duke UP.
Padios, Jan M. 2018. A Nation on the Line: Call Centers as Postcolonial Predicaments in the Philippines. Durham: Duke UP.
Turner, Bertram and Guther Schlee, eds., 2017. On Retaliation: Towards an Interdisciplinary Understanding of a Basic Human Condition. New York: Berghahn.
Books Available – Backlist from 2017 – present
- Adelman, Madelaine. 2017. Battering States: The Politics of Domestic Violence in Israel. Nashville: Vanderbilt UP.
- Alexander, Catherine and Andrew Sanchez, eds. 2018. Indeterminacy: Waste, Value, and the Imagination. New York: Berghahn.
- Alves, Jaime Amparo. 2018. The Anti-Black City: Police Terror and Black Urban Life in Brazil. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Babul, Elif. 2017. Bureaucratic Intimacies: Translating Human Rights in Turkey. Stanford UP.
- Berda, Yael. 2018. Living Emergency: Israel’s Permit Regime in the Occupied West Bank. Stanford UP.
- Briggs, Charles, and Clara Mantini-Briggs. 2016. Tell me Why My Children Died: Rabies, Indigenous Knowledge, and Communicative Justice. Durham: Duke UP.
- Caglar, Ayse and Nina Glick Schiller, eds. 2018. Migrants and City-Making: Dispossession, Displacement, & Urban Regeneration. Durham: Duke UP.
- Carrier, James G., ed. 2018. Economy, Crime, and Wrong in a Neoliberal Era. New York: Berghahn.
- Castor, N. Fadeke. 2017. Spiritual Citizenship: Transnational Pathways from Black Power to Ifa in Trinidad. Durham: Duke UP.
- Cepek, Michael. 2018. Life in Oil: Cofan Survival in the Petroleum Fields of Amazonia, photographs by Bear Guerra. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- Chance, Kerry Ryan. 2018. Living Politics in South Africa’s Urban Shacklands. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Chavez, Alex E. 2017. Sounds of Crossing: Music, Migration, and the Aural Poetics of Huapango Arribeno. Durham: Duke UP.
- Chong, Kimberly. 2018. Best Practice: Management Consulting and the Ethics of Financialization in China. Duke UP.
- Chua, Lynette J. 2018. The Politics of Love in Myanmar: LGBT Mobilization and Human Rights as a Way of Life. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Codding, Brian F. and Karn L. Kramer, eds. 2016. Why Forage: Hunters and Gatherers in the Twenty-First Century. Santa Fe, NM: SAR Press.
- Cox, John 2018. Fast Money Schemes: Hope and Deception in Papua New Guinea. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Dominguez, Virginia and Jasmin Habib, eds. America Observed: On An International Anthropology of the United States. New York: Berghahn.
- Doxiadis, Evdixios and Aimee Placas, eds.. 2018. Living Under Austerity: Greek Society in Crisis. New York: Berghahn.
- Dubal, Sam. 2018. Against Humanity: Lesson’s from the Lord’s Resistance Army. Berkeley: U California Press.
- Galemba, Rebecca Berke. 2017. Contraband Corridor: Making a Living at the Mexico-Guatemala Border. Stanford UP.
- Gowland, Geoffrey. 2017. Reinventing Craft in China: The Contemporary Politics of Yixing Zisha Ceramics. Canon Pyon: Sean Kingston Publishing.
- Gutman, Yifat. 2017. Memory Activism: Reimagining the Past for the Future in Israel-Palestine. Nashville: Vanderbilt UP.
- Heller, Monica and Bonnie McElhinny, eds. 2017. Language, Capitalism, and Colonialism: Toward a Critical History. Toronto: U Toronto Press.
- Hinton, Alexander Laban. 2016. Man or Monster? The Trial of a Khmer Rouge Torturer. Duke UP.
- Hinton, Alexander Laban. 2018. The Justice Façade. Trials of Transition in Cambodia. Oxford UP.
- Hoover, Elizabeth. 2017. The River Is In Us: Fighting Toxics in a Mohawk Community. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Jimenez, Luis F. 2018. Migrants and Political Change in Latin America. U Florida Press.
- Jusionyte, Ieva. 2019. Threshold: Emergency Responders at the US-Mexico Border. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Karimi, Sirvan. 2017. Beyond the Welfare State: Postwar Social Settlement and Public Pension Policy in Canada and Australia. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Khosravi, Shahram. 2017. Precarious Lives: Waiting and Hope in Iran. U Penn Press.
- Martins, Rosana and Massimo Canevacci, eds. 2018. Lusophone Hip-Hop: “Who We Are” and “Where We Are”: Identity, Urban Culture, and Belonging. Canon Pyon: Sean Kingston Publishing.
- McBrien, Julie. 2017. From Belonging to Belief: Modern Secularisms and the Construction of Religion in Kyrgyzstan. University of Pittsburgh Press.
- McGranahan, Carole and John Collins, eds. Ethnographies of US Empire. Duke UP.
- McKay, Ramah. 2018. Medicine in the Meantime: The Work of Care in Mozambique. Duke UP.
- Mendoza, Marcos. 2018. The Patagonian Sublime: The Green Economy and Post-Neoliberal Politics. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers UP.
- Mikus, Marek. 2018. Frontiers of Civil Society: Government and Hegemony in Serbia. New York: Berghahn.
- Millar, Kathleen M. 2018. Reclaiming the Discarded: Life and Labor on Rio’s Garbage Dump. Durham: Duke UP.
- Neale, Timothy. 2017. Wild Articulations: Environmentalism and Indigeneity in Northern Australia. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- Nyiri, Pal. 2017. Reporting for China: How Chinese Correspondents Work with the World. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- Pappe, Ilan. 2017. Ten Myths about Israel. New York: Verso
- Powell, Dana E. 2018. Landscapes of Power: The Politics of Energy in the Navajo Nation. Durham: Duke UP.
- Rafael, Vincente. 2016. Motherless Tongues: The Insurgency of Language Among Wars of Translation. Durham: Duke UP.
- Ranasinghe, Prashan. 2017. Helter-Shelter: Security, Legality, and an Ethic of Care in an Emergency Shelter. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Renfrew, Daniel. 2018. Life Without Lead: Contamination, Crisis, and Hope in Uruguay. Berkeley: U California Press.
- Schuller, Mark. 2016. Humanitarian Aftershocks in Haiti. New Brunswick: Rutgers UP.
- Shulist, Sarah. 2018. Transforming Indigeneity: Urbanization and Language Revitalization in the Brazilian Amazon. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Solomon, Harris. 2017. Metabolic Living: Food, Fat, and the Absorption of Illness in India. Duke UP.
- Sumich, Jason. 2018. The Middle Class in Mozambique: The State and the Politics of Transformation in Southern Africa. Cambridge UP.
- Swanson, Heather Anne, Marianne Elisabeth Lien, and Gro B. Ween, eds. 2018. Domestication Gone Wild: Politics and Practices of Multi-Species Relations. Durham: Duke UP.
- Sze, Julie, ed. 2018. Sustainability: Approaches to Environmental Justice and Social Power. New York: NYU Press.
- Tomlinson, Matt and Julian Millie, eds. 2017. The Monologic Imagination: Oxford UP.
- Tousignant, Noemi. 2018. Edges of Exposure: Toxicology and the Problem of Capacity in Postcolonial Senegal. Durham: Duke UP.
- Tsing, Anna, Heather Swanson, Elaine Gan, and Nils Bubandt, eds. Arts of Living on a Damaged Planet. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Vetta, Theodora. 2018. Democracy Struggles: NGOs and the Politics of Aid in Serbia. New York: Berghahn.
- West, Paige. 2016. Disposession and the Environment: Rhetoric and Inequality in Papua New Guinea. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Wright, Fiona. 2018. The Israeli Radical Left: An Ethics of Complicity. U Penn.
- Wu, Yi. 2016. Negotiating Rural Land Ownership in Southwest China: State, Village, Family. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
- Wynn, Lisa and Angela Foster. 2016. Abortion Pills, Test Tube Babies, and Sex Toys: Emerging Sexual and Reproductive Technologies in the Middle East and North Africa. Nashville: Vanderbilt UP.
- Yeh, Rian. 2018. Passing: Two Publics in a Mexican Border City. Chicago.